26 March 2012

What are your stories about the crazies online?


A friend recently talked to me about forcing herself out of her comfort zone and meeting some 'acquaintances' online, and being pleasantly surprised by the results. Like most Australian bloggers eventually find out, that avatar you've 'friended' is not some crazy axe wielding murderer. In fact, once you get past your own apprehension, these online personalities you meet face-to-face are pretty much how they are online.

If I can add connect with thousands of people in my social network, and really only eventually block one from FB (a friend's ex wife who was stalking him through his friends) and two from Twitter (one who thought I was a racist and another who just was too crass for my liking) - there's hope for all of us including our children.

I add people carefully, so may be protected from the crazies online. But I know there are stalkers out there. In fact, I have an online friend who has received death threats from a mere connection to a pro-life blogger.

So ... what are some of your stories?

This post is dedicated to all those brave bloggers who are traveling to the Digital Parents Conference this weekend in Melbourne. I sure wish I was going.

Links


-- 
The Associate Woman | The WA 6000 Daily | The Anti-Bully Paper | SuperParents on FB 
To receive updates on all SuperParents events go to subscribe.SuperParents.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment