03 April 2012

My child gets the most by going at it alone

My little girl needs to be brave enough to go at it alone.

I have practiced the martial arts for 29 years, and in a previous life have been a National Representative and Assistant National Coach in Archery. With such expertise I know that the best thing for me to do whilst attending my children's judo class is to sit down, trust their instructor, and enjoy watching my children being challenged. This is an example of the first Tenet of Taekwondo - courtesy.

No one wants a hockey mum or helicopter parent walking back and forth on the gym floor. Talking loudly distracts the class. And snide remarks or even loud cheering changes the nature of the honest competition children have between each other. There is one coach on the floor, and I'm not going to mess around with his setup.

He does ask for my feedback every now and then. When I answer I consider my place as a guest in his dojo, and I respond professionally and objectively. This is an example of the second Tenet of Taekwondo - integrity. I am not going to overstep myself and I will observe the rules of his house.

If you want your child to learn discipline, first you must exercise the discipline of self-control - this is one of the Tenets of Taekwondo. Too often we see dickheads being rude to service staff, parents insisting on special treatment for their gifted and talented children, and people who think the world owes them a living. Be better than that.

While my parents gave me opportunities, I certainly did not earn either my first black belt or my 6th degree master's belt because my parents hovered over me while I was training. And I did not become a National Representative because my parents argued with the officials or judges. I reached these heights through the fifth tenet of Taekwondo - Indomitable Spirit. That comes from being brave enough to stand alone, knowing I will ultimately have to face my fears for myself, and lastly holding the most intimate tenet always close to me - perseverance.

Think of this and of the fat kid who just never gave up. It's two sides of the same coin.

Keep well.

Colin
-- 
The Associate Woman | The WA 6000 Daily | The Anti-Bully Paper | SuperParents on FB 
To receive updates on all SuperParents events go to subscribe.SuperParents.com.au

3 comments:

  1. Wow! This is a wonderful posting. I love it. What a great way to train your mind during everyday life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mir. You have always been such a consistent supporter. :-) Colin

      Delete
  2. I think I am like you in terms of parenting. Trust that the coach/trainer knows what he is doing and let him do his job.

    Also I wanted to ask, when is the right time for a child to start sending a child to martial arts classes?

    xxfelicakes

    ReplyDelete