14 March 2012

I had Words with Fatty and Kicked Him Out

Brought myself back a special souvenir when I last visited my mum and dad. :-)

I decided I should bring it back specifically for a blog post like this. When I was young, this blue suede belt was one of my treasures; blue was my favourite colour and it had lovely a turquoise stone adorning the buckle.

Now, after thirty years, it's taken on an additional significance.

Me, 11yo. It was a hot sticky day ... but notice the belt. 

Yes, that's me. 

Growing up, I was expected to eat up. You stuffed yourself at each meal. Hardly anyone knew that exercise should be a part of your life, nor cared. No one really told me to stop. And after a while, you get pretty good at ignoring the taunts from your school friends. 

Me, 41yo. Brought back a souvenir on my last trip  to Singapore.
I decided to take control of my life when I was about 12yo. I simply had enough, and I wanted to be fit and healthy.

Of course, horrors of horrors, there was no internet nor dietitian nor doctor who could advise you. I was adamant to do this for myself - even though my folks just couldn't understand what my problem was. I simply started with a portion control - whatever I was given, I'd reduce it on my plate by 30%. And then I only ate what was in front of me and I'd stop. Miraculously, the weight came off even without much exercise. About a year later, when most of my weight had dropped off of me, and when I felt the stigma of being obese lifted off my frame ... only then did I contemplate physical activity.

I started out as a fat, unhealthy kid who'd probably have grow up to be a fat, unhealthy man on the verge of a heart attack. Clear thinking and the decision to take control of a simple habit has had a lasting impact. Now with my young kids, I can show these photos and laugh about the whole thing. Then quietly I'd share the doubts and embarrassment of my early years but dwell on the positive lessons I've learned since. 

Links


-- 
The Associate Woman | The WA 6000 Daily | The Anti-Bully Paper | SuperParents on FB 
To receive updates on all SuperParents events go to subscribe.SuperParents.com.au

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic, and what maturity for a young boy! Mine children are all very slim...and so was I until baby number 4! Working hard on banishing the post-baby weight...7.2kg down and more to go! Good for you for setting such a great example!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Rachel. I've always been proud of my self-control. It's helped me in many areas ... it's especially great for nurturing good friends. :-) Colin

    ReplyDelete