30 November 2011

SuperMum and Business Woman

Koo - Working towards living her dream! 

Koo is tall, fun, has a great personality and has got fantastic energy. Even if I typically try not to spend too much time with school parents in general, I've always liked her out of the crowd. In fact, I was actually sad when she pulled her child out of school choosing instead a local primary school close to her. But such is life.

A couple of months ago, Koo approached me to help her start up a new business. Of course I had a full plate and I didn't want to lose focus with SuperParents but as you know, my blog had been hit so many times, I just needed to take a step back and evaluate where I was heading.

What pushed me to take on board Koo's new project was the chance to work with this very motivated woman. She looked great on paper, had good determination, and was very focused on making it happen. And she needed my experience working with IT and e-commerce companies.

Koo's been working hard in the last few months. She's got very concrete goals and solid aspirations. But what I've really liked is that she's always keen to hear what I've got to say, and she's been very considerate of my own life situation and schedule. I couldn't have asked for a better client/colleague/partner/boss ...

... and am thankful for having a 'newfound' friend.

I've taken the opportunity to interview the SuperMum. Keep reading.

AW: Koo - how did you get your name?
Koo: Well it wasn't for posing naked in a magazine like Koo Stark in the 80s! I was about 8 years old and hanging out with my girlfriends - Kristin, Katie, Tiffany & Josephine. We all decided we wanted a nickname. The girls decided that I would be Koo out of Koo-trina. It has stuck and it feels more fitting for me than Katrina.

AW: Would you tell us a little about how you thought to start this business?
Koo: It was a meeting of two thoughts, the right timing and finding the right person to help me - you! I had previously been actively involved in my local primary schools fundraising. I was always so disheartened by the small financial gain for such a huge amount of effort. I felt there had to be a better way. At the same time, a few girls I play cards with had introduced me to some group buying sites and I was really enjoying shopping and the great value online. The idea for Bubbler Deals was born because of a desire to deliver value and savings to families and give back to my local community at the same time.

AW: How do you balance family and work commitments?
Koo: Well today I didn't balance them at all. It was a complete juggle and I failed in the family department. I had to be reminded of my son's dance concert with a phone call from another mum minutes before it started. I made it with seconds to spare. Midway through the concert I received a call from the Kindy teacher to ask if I was going to be bringing in my daughter's lunch as lunchtime had almost finished! Clearly a little preoccupied by a great new Christmas promotion I'm working on today.

Having said this, I'm learning to get the balance working for everyone in the family. I start work straight after I take the kids to school and work until school pick up. I intermittently answer emails until the kids have gone to bed and my husband and I have had dinner. Then it's back to the computer and, as we are gearing up for launch, I work through until midnight.

Given my husband and I have limited time together during the week we try and get away on a regular basis -whether that be for a lunch, a movie or a getaway just the two of us and weekends is family time. We try to not rush around and take things a little more spontaneously after the structure and activity of the week.

AW: Did you ever think you'd work with a guy who calls himself an 'Associate Woman'?
Koo: HaHa - no but I love it! The Associate Woman has opened my eyes to the online world. I am finding it very exciting. I am amazed at the movement of talented mums (and dads) out there who are so supportive of each other and their endeavours.

AW. What in your mind is the best way to unwind at the end of the week?
Koo: Weekends are spent at parks, in cafes or enjoying an early dinner with friends. We have a favourite little Malaysian place in Northbridge which we frequently venture to with a couple of families. That's always fun. Then we go to the Heath Ledger Theatre and the adults and kids chase the lights on the floor outside the main entrance. Silly but we all get a kick out of it!

Please help The Associate Woman support Koo in her bid to start her business venture. Go to http://www.bubbler.com.au/ and subscribe there. Or visit http://www.facebook.com/BubblerDeals and like that page.

Links
-- 
The Associate Woman | The WA 6000 Daily | The Anti-Bully Paper | SuperParents on FB 
To receive updates on all SuperParents events go to subscribe.SuperParents.com.au

1 comment:

  1. Koo is so lovely in person! I just voted for her in the mumpreneur awards. I hope she wins. Her business is fantastic and you can tell alot of hard work and dedication has gone into setting it up. What a wonderful friend you are for helping out Colin.

    ReplyDelete